WHAT: The first annual Moab Desert Dash! Presented by Wild SOL Retreats. An amazing race style challenge course around the town of Moab, Utah.
When: Sunday, March 11, from 11am-3pm with prizes being awarded at 3:30pm
Where: The Helipad (239 W Center Street) & around town
Who: Anyone can participate. Teams with minors under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult at all times. Adults can be a part of the team or just act as a chaperone.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO: Teams MUST consist of 2-3 persons. Register via the form below up until 10am on the day of the event. Space is limited to 20 teams. No motorized vehicles allowed (bikes suggested).
WHY dash >>>
This challenge is presented with the intention of inspiring Moab locals to get outdoors and explore new limits within their city limits. The locations and tasks were chosen for the purpose of connecting participants to self, community and nature, all while taking a fun and proactive approach in exploring local spaces with community members who welcome a positive learning environment within these public spaces.
With prize sponsorships from local guiding companies, local restaurants and healing arts practitioners, we hope to further inspire participants to develop a relationship with the sacred spaces outside of our city limits, within our community and inside ourselves.
WHAT is the dash >>>
Teams will be presented with the Desert Dash challenge course in the form of a Moab Map. The map will guide teams to public spaces around town where they will be confronted with challenges they must complete individually or as a team.
After all challenges are completed, teams return to the starting point at 239 W Center Street to solve the final riddle, ending the race. Winners will be determined by the total time it takes to complete the challenge course, taking into consideration bonus challenges that deduct time off your total team time.
The course will cover 10 a total of miles of [insert form of non-motorized transportation here]. Teams should expect to encounter challenges related to climbing, slacklining, mindfulness, mountain biking, creative expression, stand-up paddle boarding, music, acroyoga, fitness, comedy and anything in between!
HOW to dash >>>
1) Gather a team of 2-3 people.
2) SIGN UP via the form below
3) SIGN IN on the day of the event at The Helipad at 239 W Center Street between 10:30am-11am and have the following items:
- Non-motorized form of transportation for each participant (i.e. bike, your own two feet)
- Drinking Water (at least 2 liters recommended per person)
- Camera (phone or other, to document certain bonus challenges, if desired)
- Trash Bag, if participating in the Trash Bag Challenge
4) You MUST START the challenge course between 11-11:30am. You MUST COMPLETE the challenge course by 3pm. Participants should arrive 10-15 minutes before they plan to start the challenge course in order to get familiar with rules. We recommend starting at 11am in order to give your team the most time to complete the challenge course.
THE SPONSORS & PRIZES >>>
We are really excited that so many local guide companies, private instructors and local eateries have stepped up to offer prizes for this event. What they offer further connects the Desert Dash to the greater mission of getting out! Getting out of unhealthy habits, getting out of comfort zones, and getting outdoors!
Prizes will be awarded to the teams with the fastest challenge course time.
- Paddle Moab - Half day SUP rental for entire team.
- Moab Canyon Tours - Half day canyoneering trip for entire team.
- Wild SOL Retreats - Half day climbing trip for entire team.
- Sam Shryack with Moab Rim Tours - Half day magical mystery bike ride for entire team.
- Josh Beaudoin - One 90 minute team Slackline lesson & one 90 minute private Slackline lesson
- Michelle G Yogini - One 60 minute team acroyoga lesson.
- M.C.'s Healing Arts - Free one hour massage for one.
- Sabaku Sushi - $20 gift card
- 98 Center - $20 gift card
- Eddie McStiff's - $40 gift card
- Moab Grassroots Music Exchange (MGME) - T-shirts
- Fresh Moab Coffee (FMC) - Coffee
- Moonflower Coop - Food for event
- Communitea Garden
Big Thanks to DJ Cozy Soul for DJing tunes throughout the event and to The Helipad for providing the space to host the event and celebrate!
And HUGE thanks to the team of local volunteers who are making this event possible: Jenna Talbott, Josh Beaudoin, Homer Manson, Sam Shryack, Anna Luz Fisher, Jacque Garcia, Josh Surkes, Abbie Long, Dailey Haren, Molly Hazell, Jeff Brennan, Liz Jimenez, Gustav Ryerson, Rachel Wagner and Dominique Lafleur.
TEAM REGISTRATION FORM
We are relying on you to make this event a success! If you need to cancel your reservation please contact 435-315-2533 or email Tiffany@wildsolretreats.com before 10am on the day of the event to open the space up for other teams to participate. Thank you!
THANK YOU SPONSORS!
SAM SHRYACK's MAGICAL MYSTERY RIDES
M.C.'s HEALING ARTS
JOSH BEAUDOIN SLACKLINER